Saturday, May 05, 2007

More Comedy

Saw a comedian called Rick Shapiro this week. All I can say is that I think the guy is the Miles Davis of comedy. It's complete stream of consciousness stuff and about 2 amazing jokes mixed in with 2 hours of surrealism. If you've ever been a fan of Miles you'll know that for every history changing album he made, there were also a buncha turkeys along the way too. The guy is too good to stop listening to though.

Shapiro played the deadbeat brother on the TV show Lucky Louie, which I think was one of the funniest things on TV in years, so I knew who he was before he came on. Nothing prepares you for this guy though. He looks (and sounds) like Lemmy from Motorhead shagged a crack-whore and this guy is their baby.

I was actually at the show to see Doug Stanhope again (see earlier post) but Stanhope gave the mic to Shapiro and two hours later I was wondering what the fuck just happened. Stanhope came back on and was pretty funny but it was hard to get Shapiro's trip out my head. I spent the 2 hours saying to myself c'mon get Stanhope back on but now 2 days later I find myself thinking about stuff Shapiro said not Stanhope.

I think my problem is that I think life is too homogenized now, sure it was annoying to be accosted by the drunk homeless guy in the street and have your ear talked off about the time he woke up in the foetal position in the shower after drinking a quart of battery acid, but at least he had a story and at least his story is unique. Life needs characters and Rick Shapiro is one of those characters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home