Saturday, March 03, 2007

St Paddy's

This morning I was on the train sitting across from a guy who looked like Ian Paisley. I wanted to ask "Are you Ian Paisley?" but I was afraid that him shouting "Noooo!" in an enclosed train might make my ear-drums explode!

The reason I mention this is that the St Patrick's Day marching season is upon us. In New York the big parade is obviously the 17th but for all the towns surrounding NY, like Jersey City where I live, the parades are the weekend before or after. I guess this is becuase the same die-hard eejits show up at all the parades. I have a love/hate relationship with St Paddy's day. Obviously I love the drinking but I can't stand the flag waving and plastic shamrocks.

The Jersey City Parade assembles in the park behind my house and last Sunday we brought the Wee Yin up to see it. The usual gobshites were out in force accompanied by bad bagpipers and drunk policemen. I can't say it was enjoyable but it's definitely different, I guess I would compare it to the Mickey Mouse Parade on Guinness.

Speaking of Guinness, the one surreal image I'll take home with me was a vintage beer delivery truck with a guy dressed up as a pint. The old truck showed up late and the poor pint of Guinness had to hold on to the top of the truck for his dear life as they tried to catch up with the rest of the marchers. It's a good thing he wasn't drunk.

1 Comments:

At 10:42 AM , Blogger Alistair Coleman said...

I met Paisley once as a sallow youth. He really is nineteen feet tall and as frightening as fuckery. I really do believe he would fuck the Pope given half the chance.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home