Friday, July 28, 2006

First Week Home

Suddenly we were three. We got home last Saturday and realised that somehow nothing will ever look the same in our house again. What was once a cool little Buddha statue is now a potential choking hazard! I know I am getting ahead of myself here, Ailish won't be picking anything up for a while, but it's true your entire existence on this planet has taken on a new flavor.

I've become an orphan and a parent in the space of two months - I don't think that life will ever become anymore emotional than this - I am finally well and truly grown-up with real shite to worry about! Who cares about the price of Guinness or the new release by Johnny Cash now! (Yes, I know he's dead so don't point it out!).

I'm sure it will settle down but in the first week your head kind of explodes with new parent anxieties - one morning in the hospital when the baby was brought back from the nursery she was sound asleep, so much so that I leaned right in to check she was still breathing! 5 minutes later I caught Alma doing exactly the same thing and we had a good laugh!

My Brother said "You spend an our trying to get them to sleep then you wake them up 10 minutes later to make sure they are okay". Yeah, it's going to take some getting used to......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home