Saturday, April 29, 2006

Living with War

An estimated 300,000 people marched down Broadway today protesting the war in Iraq. This is the biggest protest we've had in a year or so and it was good to see that the anti-war movement is getting stronger - indeed it seems to have crossed over more, from the usual liberal tree-huggers (like myself) to more regular blue-collar everyday people. this can only be good, I just hope these people remeber this march when they march into the voting booths next November.

On a related note, if you goto Neil Young's website you can hear his new album streaming online before it is released in the stores. The album is essentially an anti-war rant. A good message, still haven't decided if I like the music yet. I think it is growing on me though, check out track 7 called "Let's Impeach The President" which has snippits of Bush speaking and Neil singing "Flip Flop" in the background. You'll remember that "Flip Flop" was what the Republicans screamed at John Kerry during the last election.

I met up with a guy from one the message boards I post on for a few beers last weekend and we had a laugh. I was thinking about him as I was listening to NY's album. He is the bass player in a brit-rock style band, Oasis/The Verve type music. His band Fallen Penny are just starting out and have been utilising the net and "myspace" as a way of getting the music to the masses. Hopefully they take off (epecially since he gave me a limited edition CD!) You can hear his band here.

The internet has such an anarchistic potential, the anti-war march was only a few hours ago but you can already watch clips of it on YouTube. We can bypass the mainstream media and make our own rules... Long live internet anarchy... oh wait, Neil Young is on Warner Brothers and "Myspace" is owned by Rupert Murdoch... never mind....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home