Friday, February 17, 2006

The Winter Games

My friend Thornton rolled into town on Feb 3rd and rolled out again about an hour before the record-breaking snowstorm dumped a couple of feet of snow on Newark airport and shut it down. Lucky Bastard! Thanks for all your help on the house Thorn!!!

Anyway, this is just a lead-in to my next boring moan. Thorn is a big snowboarder and I've been thus inspired enough by him to sit on my arse and start watching the Winter Olympics. Would I go snowboarding? Well maybe, but I don't like cold weather and I'd sooner go snorkling in the Bahamas!

The Winter Olympics... what can you say? The American team went into the games with high hopes after taking a record medal tally at the last games in Salt Lake City and so far, as far as I can see, they've won naff all worth talking about! (Not including the snowboarding events of course but that doesn't count as there seems to be as many snowboarders in the US as there are people in Scotland!).

Bode Miller, everyones favorite redneck, beer guzzling skier won sweet FA. Michelle Kwan didn't even get to do a pirouette for us, but hell, who cares!

My big gripe about this Olympic spectacular is the TV coverage. Every event is preceeded by a short film about how an American athlete overcame adversity to get to the games. It mught just be my highly developed sense of paranoia but most of those films remind me of the Nazi propaganda films
Leni Riefenstahl shot.

Can we just enjoy the sport and leave the puke-inducing promos in the can. Please? Please?


1 Comments:

At 9:45 AM , Blogger Alistair Coleman said...

I was particularly cheered at the young American lady who was winning the Snowboard downhill-race-me-do by a street, who decided to celebrate her gold medal with a few jumps and tricks in the home straight.

Result: falls on her arse, silver medal and a one-way trip to a re-education centre somewhere in South Dakota. How we laughed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home