Saturday, January 14, 2006

Bad Karma down the pub.....

Went to the pub for the first time in 2 months on Thursday and to be honest I wish I hadn't. Ash, my current favorite bartender, introduced me to this guy Rob who was one of the most revolting specimens of humanity I have encountered yet.

He was a right-wing talk show host in training and wouldn't shut up about how great America was and how wrong the liberal-left were "treating the whole world like it was a chess game, when only force can solve the world's problems" (his words). He was about as intelligent as a dust bunny. Everything he said was unbelievable and he really put me off my beer.

I tried arguing with him but he just talked right over the top of me - another rightwing specialty, be the loudest voice in the room even when you are flat wrong! The conversation ranged from why Vietnam was actually a good idea (his opinion, not mine), to gay marriage and abortion.

It was starting to get ugly when I said he was best excuse for abortion I'd ever seen, thankfully one of the other bartenders Scotty came in, he grabbed me and took me down the far end of the bar to say hello.

Now, I am not normally drawn into situations like this and usually walk away before it gets tense, but this was Perdition, my home bar, and it is owned by a bunch of people that I know to be very open-minded. Scotty told me "I don't think much of your new friend" to which I replied sticking my finger in my mouth and making the international puke sign.

Was this a lesson in karma since I should have been at home stripping paint off the banister and trying to get the house in order for the baby? The ankle-biter is now officially said to be pooping out around about July 9th and so far everything has been fine. July 9th sounds like a long way away but I'm sure it will be here in no time! I really have my work cut out with this place and any foriegn visitor who knows how to wield a paintbrush is welcome to drop by anytime!

1 Comments:

At 8:53 PM , Blogger Fatman said...

Boy Howdy!- Some people sure know what topics to talk about in bars. I manage a bar in Melbourne, Australia, and sometimes/ inevitably when conversations take an ugly turn (invariably about relegion, gender issues, politics, sexuality, race, who was the better Captain in Star Trek) I step in to change the topic or drag people away. Ours is not a violent bar but some people have an uncanny knack of turning even the calmest pacifists into a raging ball of fury and Yours Truly has to pry broken beer bottles out of patrons' hands.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home