Tuesday, December 20, 2005

New House

So We have left New York. The Wife and I are officially residents of New Jersey - I've bought the Springsteen t-shirt and the trucker cap, the whole kit and caboodle! Tony Soprano can kiss-my-motherfeckin-Scottish-arse!
Paradoxically, I might have moved to another state but I am actually closer to Manhattan than I was when I lived in Brooklyn and I have 3 times the amount of space for half the amount of money! I have an attic and a basement now for god's sake!!!! And I can play my music as loud as I want without disturbing the neighbours!
The house was built in 1929, the year of the Wall Street Crash and also, I realised after, the year my Mother was born. It has been owned by one couple for the last 40-odd years, it has updated heating systems (5 years old or so) and updated windows but there is a ton of cumbling plaster to be fixed and it needs a new roof (the current one has curling shingles but it is not leaking - there was a leaking part but that was repaired in 2002).
The good news is that the house is bloody warm! I can't believe how much warmer it is than our old place. It is freezing outside and I am sitting in my t-shirt. The downside is though that I am now paying for that warmth and not our old landlord, I'm sure my first heating bill will be a shocker!
I also now have to pay property taxes, water bills, electricity and gas, along with my mortgage and the various home repairs that I'm sure will crop up. I think my irresponsible drinking days may be coming to a close! From now on I will be a drunk only on special occasions like weddings, funerals and weekends!

1 Comments:

At 8:41 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, Congratulations! Wasn't too sure if you would make it in time for christmas. card etc. on way. Oh, and don't forget to send photos - including the crossed blind canes over the Ushers mirror!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home