Monday, April 25, 2005

Dancing the night away...

It's been a quiet couple of weeks for my liver and that's a good thing. As an alternative to hitting the pub I've seen a transvestite ballet company, a real ballet company and a few good movies.
The dance companies were a bit of departure for me. Watching dance is not really my thing as I've always been a bit puzzled by the entertainment value of it. There is no doubt that dancers are great athletes and can do amazing things with their bodies but how am I supposed to react to that? What is the difference between a dancer and a physical comedian or even a mime? They are all people using their bodies to express an emotion, wether it is love, comedy or anger makes no difference to me.

So anyway, I stared in some puzzlement at the first show I saw by The Martha Graham Company and kept thinking of Brendan Behan shouting "Up Sodomy!" at his first attendance of a ballet. There were some not too subtle left-wing political references in this show that held my attention for a bit but I wasn't particularly moved by anything I saw. I'm not saying it was bad; in fact if you like ballet it was probably great. It just wasn't my thing.

The Grandivas on the other hand were a laugh a minute. An all-male company performing Romeo and Juliet can only be good. I guess it was the comedy I liked or the fact that they were puncturing holes in the pretentiousness of the whole thing. I've always loved people who do that; check out Luther Wright and the Wrongs bluegrass version of Pink Floyd for example.

3 Comments:

At 5:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ohhh boy do i have a comment Dave!

you don't get dance?

you seem to think that dance is some sort of entertainment, NO! dance is art.
Fred and ginger, gene kelly, (micheal Flatly) entertainment.
martha, cunningham, Art!

dave i love you, but behave

 
At 5:27 PM , Blogger Dave said...

Who is you stranger? I have two friends who are dancers (I suspect you might be one of them).

Anyway, I absolutely agree - Dance IS art! Unfortunately there is a lot of art out there that I don't get either. I love Salvador Dali but I can't stand Damien Hirst.

 
At 6:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

check out "the cost of living" by DV8 a dance film, check it out if you can.
love T

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home