Sunday, January 27, 2008

New year, same old shit

It's been two months since I last posted and another year has passed into the giant cloud of fart gas behind me. Where did it go? I don't know! You see, I'm a poet and I didn't know it.......

It's unfortunate that I have to start the new year with a rant against the Catholic Church but they won't change so heck, why should I?

My rant this time concerns the news that the Archdiocese in Los Angeles is selling church property to pay for a $660 million settlement in a number of sex abuse cases. "So what's new?" you ask, well they only need to raise a portion of that cash because $227 million dollars is being paid by the Church's "sexual abuse insurance"!!!!

When I first read the story I had to read it twice because my brain could not quite believe what my eyes claimed to have seen. When my brain finally became convinced it just about caused me to spray coffee from my mouth all over my keyboard.

The sexual abuse insurance bit was just dropped in there like it was a completely normal thing to have. What next? Sheep-shaggers insurance?

Advertising slogan: "If you love Ewe, We love you too"

It made me wonder what kind of business would need sexual abuse insurance? I can't think of anything positive that could possibly be shopping for that kind of coverage. Can you imagine if the Nazis had holocaust insurance or the Taliban had complete-nutjobs insurance?

What kind of insurance company would offer that kind of insurance? What kind of clients are they trying to attract? Would Gary Glitter qualify? Jonathan King your premiums are late!

Anyway, there is a good article that explains more about it here

And a song......


FAITHFUL DEPARTED
(Phil Chevron)

This graveyard hides a million secrets,
The trees know more than they can tell
The ghosts of the Saints and the scholars will haunt you
In Heaven and in Hell

Rattle by the glimmer man, the boogie man the holy man
Livin' in the shadow, the shadow of the gunman
Rattled like the coppers in your greasy till,
Rattle till time stood still

Look over your shoulder hear the school bell ring;
Another day of made to measure history
I don't care if your heroes have wings,
Your terrible beauty's been torn


Faithful departed, we fickle hearted,
As you are now so once were we
Faithful departed, we the meek hearted,
With graces imparted bring flowers to thee

The girls in the kips proclaim their love for you,
When you stumbled in they knew you had a shilling or two
They cursed you on Sundays and Holy days of abstinence
When you all stayed away

When you slept there a naked light bulb hid your shame
Your shadows on the wall they took all the blame
The Scared Heart's picture compassion in his eyes
Drowned out the river sighs


Let the grass grow green over the brewery tonight
It'll never come between the darkness and the light
There is no pain that can't be eased
By the devil's Holy water and the rosary beads


You're a history book I never could write,
Poetry in paralysis too deep to recite
Dress yourself bless yourself you've won the fight,
We're gonna to celebrate tonight

We'll even climb the pillar like we always meant to,
Watch the sun rise over the strand
Close our eyes and we'll pretend,
It could somehow be the same again

I'll bury you upright so the sun doesn't blind you,
You won't have to gaze at the rain and the stars
Sleep and dream of chapels and bars
And whiskey in the jar

Faithful departed, look what you started,
An underdog's wounds aren't so easy to mend
Faithful departed, there's no broken hearted,
No more tristesse in your world without end

1 Comments:

At 9:43 PM , Blogger Shari said...

It reminded me of a rock singer-David Lee Roth of Van Halen, I think. I don't even know if it's true, but you know how bands get groupies...

He had a clause in his insurance (or something) that if he got a woman pregnant, he gave her 10,000 dollars to abort it or keep it. He didn't care, just so long as she never came back to bother him.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home