Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Wake me up before you go go!

The Wee Yin likes to fight sleep as long as she can but I am getting better at calming her and making her relax and drift off into slumber without too much fuss.

Unfortunately, I am also getting better at putting her down in her bed or chair then immediately afterwards I'll sit down on the couch on the loudest noise-making baby toy you've ever heard.

This will happen to me almost everytime. The house can be spotlessly clean and I will alway check before sitting down but unbeknownst to me, lurking under one cushion will be the "Fisher-Price Klaxxon wake-the-baby-toy" and I will literally throw myself onto it in order to make the loudest possible noise!

This is followed by a wimper from the Wee Yin, she makes a face and moves her head from side to side but does not wake up. Phew!! Got away with it!!

She will only wake a minute later when I pick up the "Fisher-Price Klaxxon" without turning it off first and set the whole "Old McDonald Had A Farm" as performed by Napalm Death and the New York Symphony Orchesta off all over again.

Seriously, you cannot move in my house without sitting or standing on something that makes a noise. I have come home late at night when everyone is sleeping and all is quiet only to set off a virtual eardrum splitting symphony of "Frere Jaques", "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and "Old McDonald" all at the same time.

The English version of "Frere Jacques" is of course:

Are you sleeping, are you sleeping?
Brother John, Brother John?
Morning bells are ringing,
morning bells are ringing
Ding Ding Dong, Ding Ding Dong.

SLEEPING? NOT ANY MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 Comments:

At 10:45 PM , Blogger Shari said...

Ahh, I forgot about that rhyme. I thought it ended with Ding dong ding instead of ding ding dong? Whatever.

I used to rub the baby softly on the back of the neck-right in the middle where the head meets the joint. The girls used to be massaged to sleep that way.

Hang on to those moments. Trust me, they grow up so fast!! My kids are six and twelve now. :)

 
At 5:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funnily, I remember it as ending with Ding, Dang, Dong.

The song has a really interesting (and dark) history which is well worth reading about. Check out the Wiki at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fr%C3%A8re_Jacques

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home