Saturday, October 28, 2006

Pub/Baby ratio

It's been a while since I've had time to post. Babies tend to have a negative effect on your idle time and even when the wee yin is sleeping you are trying to catch up on other crap like laundry and washing the dishes.

My first visitor since the birth of the wee yin arrived in from the UK last week and for the first time I was really tested on the pub/baby time ratio. I think I managed to keep a fairly even split (though my wife might not agree), but still ended a weeks worth of craziness feeling like, in the words of Bob Dylan, "One too many mornings and a thousand miles behind".

My friend was in town for Alice Donut's 20th Anniversary show. Alice Donut are an East Village, NYC, psycedelic punk band from the late-80's. They have also been my favorite band since I was about 18 and it was a bit of a shock to realise that they had been together for 20 years.

It was a fantastic show - great tunes, strange instruments (trombone, banjo) and transvestites. What more do you want?

It was also a great example of how the internet can be used to break down the barrier between the band and the audience. A few rabid fans like myself had arranged to meet in a bar before the show only to have the two guitarists from the band themselves show up. It was a very cool thing to do considering some fans had come from as far away as Holland and England. The other band members also made themselves very available to the audience, hanging out and chatting after the show.

For a band who once sang:

I've got a jackson pollack tatoo on my ass.
Video priest screaming out high mass.
Sick little schoolgirls rolling round on my floor.
Jehovah's witness knocking at my door.
Rednecks sucking life from a can.
Naked women magazines making me a man.
Big blond bush, schizophrenic tits.
I come prematurely and I dont give a shit.


They are all lovely folks and hell, normal too!!!! Thanks Donut folks for a great time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home