Sunday, September 18, 2005

What pisses me off?

After reading it on and off for the last six years, I’ve decided that I hate the Sunday New York Times.

Every Sunday I am filled with excitement as I pick up this huge newspaper (today’s was about 4 inches thick – about the width of a paperback copy of The Hobbit!), and every Sunday I put this paper breeze block in my bag and cause my shoulder to dislocate itself.

I always think, “If it’s that fucking big it must contain everything I need to know about the world – I’m gonna be the cleverest guy who ever lived if I can just find a school gymnasium to lay the sections to make it readable!”.

Well not quite. Unlike the Sunday papers in the UK which still operate on putting a scoop on the front page and often run stories that are so good that they end up setting the news pattern for the rest of the week; the Sunday New York Times has long headlines that sometimes tell you more than the article. A sample from this morning’s paper would be “Even in Iraqi City Cited As Model, Rebuilding Efforts Are Hobbled”. Right on the front fucking page – a comma in a headline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, I know that The Times is trying to retain some old tradition of longhand headlines – that’s not my main problem with this paper. My main problem is that unless you read carefully you’ll miss the big stories. For example, did you know that there is a hunger strike going on at Guantanamo Prison right now, possibly up to 200 prisoners are starving themselves to death because of the inhuman conditions they are kept in. I happen to think this is a pretty major fucking story but where did the Times bury it? Try Page 24!

That pisses me off!

2 Comments:

At 9:09 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written Blog. Dont't stop. Maybe you can make a comment about my scottsdale arizona real estate related blog.

 
At 12:33 AM , Blogger Ginny said...

I major story on page 24 is what I would call media censorship, or at least an attempt to hide it.

I believe that the news in the US undergoes a large amount of filtering before it actually goes into print.

We often hear things in Canada, that don't seem to make the news in the US. I've heard some stories in regard to 911 that the CBC (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) reported that day, but I didn't hear it on American news until three years later!

It makes me wonder what the general American public (one's that don't dig any deeper) really understand about the world around them.

Hey, I hope the word verification gets rid of your spam problem.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home